UPDATE May 6, 8:15 pm: The Commons and the Academic Services Building are now being powered by a generator, and services in those buildings will return to normal operation tomorrow, May 7. All evening events today, May 6, originally scheduled for those two buildings remain in their new locations (see below). The Commons and the Academic Services Building will remain on generator power until a more permanent solution can be put in place to address the maintenance issues found with the transformer that services them.
We sincerely apologize for any difficulties caused by the power outage and greatly appreciate your patience today.
May 5, 2013
The Commons and the Academic Services Building are currently without power and are expected to remain without power at least through Monday, May 6.
Facilities Management began scheduled maintenance on the transformer servicing The Commons and the Academic Services Building overnight on Saturday and encountered more extensive maintenance issues than anticipated.
Because many members of our community will be impacted by the outage, Facilities Management, the University Police, the Office of Student Affairs and the Provost’s Office are working to develop a plan to support the services and the faculty, staff and students affected.
We will provide updates here as those plans develop. We sincerely apologize for any difficulties caused by the outage and appreciate your patience as we perform this crucial work.
Dining Services Information
- True Grit’s will remain open with continuous service between lunch and dinner and will offer a “Grab & Go” meal option throughout the day starting at lunch.
- The Administration Coffee Shop will have extended hours until 5pm.
- There will be a ‘Meal Deal’ cookout underneath the walkway outside of the University Center.
- We are anticipating very heavy business at the Administration Coffee Shop and Chick-fil-A and Starbucks in the UC. Every effort will be made to service as many students as possible at these locations. We would encourage all resident students to eat at True Grits to accommodate as many commuters as we can at our other locations.
Events & Meeting Information
Due to The Commons being unexpectedly closed on Monday, May 6, UMBC Events & Conferences has worked to relocate the following events/meetings to the spaces indicated.
- Enrollment Management Student Appreciation Banquet, 5-7:30 pm moved to the Quad with rain location of Flat Tuesdays Patio.
- Greek Week Workshop, 12-1 pm moved to UC 115
- Greek Week Workshop, 7-8 pm moved to SOND 111
- GSA GA Advisory Board Meeting, 11:30-1 pm moved to UC 312
- May Grads Day, rescheduled to Wednesday, May 8, 11:30 am-1:30 pm in The Commons Game Room
- SGA Senate, 5:30 pm moved to UC 310
Events and meetings that are scheduled in the University Center will continue as planned, as they will NOT be impacted by the maintenance taking place in The Commons.
If you have a regular weekly meeting scheduled in The Commons for Monday and deem it necessary to have it rescheduled, please send an e-mail (citing your reservation number or time & room number) to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will do our best to accommodate requests as quickly as possible under the given circumstances.
For departments, student organizations, and individuals with orders scheduled to be picked up from commonvision, please email email@example.com for additional information about orders.
We appreciate your patience and understanding with our office as we work diligently to meet your needs under these extenuating circumstances.